The Patch Analyzer tool helps you manage SQL Server patches and keep your environment properly patched. Specify your managed SQL Servers and Patch Analyzer tells you if they are running a supported version of SQL Server. In addition, you can get information about the patches running on your SQL Server and whether additional hotfixes are available for your SQL Server level.
How the Patch Analyzer tool works
Patch Analyzer allows you to:
- Verify that your SQL Servers instances are patched to the same level and/or the appropriate level.
- Identify whether any SQL Server instances are running unsupported versions of SQL Server (or versions whose support is about to expire).
- Use quick links to Microsoft Knowledge Base articles to get more information about applied hotfixes and new hotfixes.
- Keep up with the latest patches by downloading the most recent list compiled by IDERA.
By default, Patch Analyzer connects to the specified SQL Server instances using the credentials of your currently logged on Windows account.
Use the Patch Analyzer tool
To use Patch Analyzer:
- Open the IDERA SQL Admin Toolset Launchpad, and then click Patch Analyzer.
- Specify the SQL Server instance or server group whose SQL Server versions you want to check. To specify multiple SQL Servers, separate each instance name with a semicolon.
- Click Load Version Information. Review the results and note the highlighted versions that are no longer supported or are soon becoming unsupported.
- If you want to group the results by SQL Server version, click Show Groups on the View menu.
- If you want to see more information about a hotfix that was applied to your SQL Server instance, select the instance from the results list, and then click View the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article.
- If you want to see which new hotfixes are available, select the SQL Server instance you want to update from the results list, and then click View Available Updates.
- If you want to save the results, copy the list to clipboard, or save the results as an XML or CSV file.
To use find SQL Server downloads:
- Click SQL Server Downloads / Support Lifecycle.
- Find the download you need, and then click the link to proceed to the corresponding Microsoft Web site page.
To review which patches are checked:
- Click the Display Build List link. If you are not sure you have the latest list, click Check for New List. This link downloads the most recent list of releases, service packs, and hotfixes for SQL Server software.
- Review the list of all known releases of SQL Server software.
- To see the Microsoft Knowledge Base article for a specific hotfix, select the hotfix, and then click View Microsoft Knowledge Base Article.