Creating a Data Alert rule allows you to begin generating alerts on audit data across your SQL Server environment. To successfully generate an alert, the alert rule criteria you select must match SQL Server event data you are currently auditing on the specified instance or database. For example, to alert on sensitive column access, first enable auditing on sensitive columns.
To create a Data Alert:
- Select Alert Rules in the Administration tree.
- Click Data on the New Rule ribbon.
- On the Data Alert Type window, note that you are creating an alert for sensitive column access, and then click Next.
- Select the type of object you want to alert on, and then click Next. By default, the alert rule will generate an alert when the selected data is collected for an instance, database, table, or column. Use the links provided on the rule details pane to narrow your alert rule to specific objects or objects that match a naming convention.
- Select the action you want SQL Compliance Manager to take when this alert triggers, and then click Next. To configure the email notification message or event log entry, use the links provided on the rule details pane.
- Specify a name and appropriate alert level for this alert, review the summary, and then click Finish. By default, the new alert rule is enabled.