Tags help you group or organize your instances and databases for better management. Create and apply a tag such as "Disaster Recovery" to identify all your registered instances and databases that are vital to your disaster recovery plan, and have quick access to views and details from this group.
The following types of tags are available in this product:
- Global tags. Allow you to use the same tag across all IDERA SQL products integrated with IDERA Dashboard. Global tags are created in IDERA Dashboard or are imported from another IDERA product and made into a global tag through IDERA Dashboard.
- Local tags. Available only in the product in which they are created unless imported into IDERA Dashboard and converted to a global tag.
When you register an instance in an IDERA SQL product, you are given the option to associate that instance to an existing tag, or to create a new tag. You cannot assign tags to databases when adding an instance, but you can make this association when viewing instance details or database details.
Options available for tags include:
- Managing tags in IDERA Dashboard
- Manage tags for a single instance
- Bulk edit tags for several instances
Managing local tags
Local tags, available within a single IDERA product, are available by using one of the following paths to access the Manage Tags window:
- Overview. Click the pencil icon in the Tags section of the right sidebar.
- Administration > Manage Tags.
Below you can see the respective tabs and sections where you can find the Manage Tags option. Click the image to view full size.
In the Manage Tags window you can:
- View the number of instances and databases associated with a tag
- Add new tags
- Edit the list of instances and databases associated with a tag
- Delete tags
On the Manage Tags window, click the tag name to quickly access the Edit Tag dialog for that tag.
Add a new tag
Use the following steps to add a new tag.
- In the Manage Tags window, click Add. IDERA SQL Inventory Manager opens the Add Tag window.
- Type the name of the new tag you wish to add, or type several names separating them with a semicolon. Below the Tag field, IDERA SQL Inventory Manager displays a list of registered instances and databases in your environment.
- Select the checkbox(es) for each instance and database you want to add to this tag, and then click SAVE.
- The tag name must begin with an upper or lowercase alphanumeric character.
- Your tag name must have a maximum length of 20 characters.
Edit a tag
Editing a tag lets you rename the tag or change which instances or databases are associated with the tag.
To edit a tag, select the checkbox next to the tag you want to edit, and then click Edit. You can also access this option by clicking directly on the tag name. Note that you can only edit one tag at a time.
Make the appropriate changes, and then click SAVE.
Use the following steps to delete one or more tags.
- In the Manage Tags window, select the checkbox next to the tag(s) you want to delete, and then click Delete. IDERA SQL Inventory Manager displays a warning message that requires a confirmation whether you want to delete the selection.
- Click Yes. IDERA SQL Inventory Manager deletes the tag(s) and users can no longer use those tags. If you did not mean to delete the selected tags , click No.
When an instance is deleted, the mappings to its tags are also deleted, but not the tags because they may be used for other instances