There are two ways to deploy the SQL Safe XSP: remotely through the Management Console or locally through the command-line interface (CLI).
If you are upgrading a Backup Agent, you will be prompted to perform an upgrade of the XSP for all instances on the target SQL Server.
If you do not want to deploy the XSP to all instances on a given SQL Server, you can deploy the XSP to a single instance through the Management Console or the CLI.
XSP deployment through the Management Console
You can upgrade the XSP when you deploy or upgrade the Backup Agent from the Management Console. At that time, you will be prompted for permission to install or perform an upgrade of the XSP for all instances on the target SQL Server. To install or upgrade the XSP, click Yes, and complete the authentication information as necessary. This action will install the new XSP on all instances on the SQL Server.
You can also deploy the XSP to a single instance.
To deploy the SQL Safe XSP to a single instance:
- In the Servers tree, select the instance to which you want to deploy the XSP.
- On the right-click context menu, click Install SQL Safe Extended Stored Procedures.
- Click OK.
XSP deployment using the SQL Safe CLI
If you did not install the XSP during the Backup Agent upgrade, or you want to deploy the XSP to select instances on a given SQL Server, you can install the XSP manually.
To deploy the SQL Safe XSP with the standalone installer:
- Log on with an administrator account to the SQL Server computer on which you want to install the SQL Safe XSP. Ensure your logon account also belongs to the System Administrators role on each SQL Server instance.
- Ensure you have the most current version of SQL Safe Backup.
- Open the Command Prompt, and navigate to the directory where the SQL Safe CLI is installed. By default, the CLI is installed in
C:\Program Files\IDERA\SQL Safe.
SQLsafeCmd InstallXsp –InstanceName MyInstance –Server MyServerComputer, specifying the name of the instance and the SQL Server computer. For more information about available InstallXSP options, such as specifying authentication credentials, see the CLI Help. To view the CLI Help, type
SQLsafecmd help installxsp.