The SQLsafe Backup Wizard allows you to:
- Back up multiple databases on different SQL Server instances
- Back up multiple databases on the same SQL Server instance
- Back up individual databases
SQLsafe executes all of these operations in parallel.
To successfully back up data on a SQL Server instance, SQLsafe requires that you deploy a Backup Agent to the target instance. You can remotely deploy a Backup Agent through the Backup Wizard by registering the target instance.
If SQLsafe detects that your instances is not licensed, go to License Key Manager and enable the license for that instance.
To back up multiple databases on a routine schedule, use a backup policy to maintain an up-to-date archives of your databases.
How do you create an archive using the Backup Wizard?
The Backup Wizard guides you through the steps required to archive your database content into backup sets. You can back up a single database, multiple databases, or an entire SQL Server instance.
To create a backup with the Backup Wizard:
- In the navigation pane, click Servers.
- In the Servers tree, select the SQL Server instance or database you want to backup.
- Select Backup Database from the right-click context menu or click the Backup option on the Management Console menu bar. Additionally you can find this Backup option on the File menu.
- On the Databases tab, verify that the correct SQL Server instance and databases are selected, and then click Next. For more information, see Select the database to back up.
- On the General tab, select the Backup Type, and select Create a copy-only backup or Verify Backup if appropriate. Enter a name for the backup and a description. For more information, see Specify the type of backup. Click Next.
- On the Location tab, select the Location Type from Single File, Striped Files or Tape (Tivoli Storage Manager).
- For any location type, choose to overwrite or append to an existing archive. For more information, see Select a location for the backup. You can also choose how to handle errors encountered while writing to the network during a backup by clicking Enable network resiliency.
- On the Location tab, you can also set up to two mirror locations for your backup. Click Next.
- On the Options tab, select the appropriate compression and encryption options, and any advanced objects that are appropriate for your environment. For more information, see Specify compression and encryption options. If your SQL Server environment requires FIPS compliance, use the AES encryption option. Click Next,
- On the Notifications tab, select the email address to which you want to send alert notifications. For more information, see Configure e-mail notification for the backup .
- On the Summary tab, review your selections. For more information, see Review the details of the backup .