DB Change Manager 17.1 should be installed in a different directory than 4.x, 5.x, 6.0.x, 6.1, 6.2, 6.3.x, 2016 (6.3.3), 2016+ (16.5), 16.6, and 17.0 versions. If DB Change Manager is installed in the same directory, the following error will result at application start up: "Unable to read workbench state. Workbench UI layout will be reset."
If one of the conflicting versions is already installed on your machine, either change the default Workspace or delete all files from the Workspace directory. The Workspace directory location appears whenever you start DB Change Manager and can be redefined from this dialog box. If the same Workspace is indicated for the new version, as was indicated previously, the following error will result: "Cannot restore workbench layout."
If DB Change Manager is already running, you can also modify the Workspace directory by choosing File > Switch Workspace > Other from the Main menu.
The format in which schema comparisons are saved has changed in 6.x. Use the import feature to import pre-6.0 schema comparison jobs.
Beginning with version 17.0, DB Change Manager provides an upgrade process for moving jobs and other information from an existing DB Change Manager 4.0, 5.0, 5.1.x, 5.5.x or 5.6 installation. No upgrade process is required to move from 6.x installations to DB Change Manager 17.1.
You do not have to upgrade to 5.6, and then to DB Change Manager 17.1. The import procedure is the same.
Upgrading from Version 5.0, 5.1.x, 5.5.x or 5.6 to DB Change Manager 2016 (6.3.3), 2016+ (16.5), 16.6, 17.0, or 17.1
All objects can be imported from version 5.0, 5.1.x, 5.5.x or 5.6 to DB Change Manager 2016 (6.3.3), 2016+ (16.5), 16.6, 17.0, or 17.1.
To upgrade from 5.0, 5.1.x, 5.5.x or 5.6:
- Make sure that the earlier product is not running and that no command line jobs are being processed.
- Install and run DB Change Manager 17.1 in a different directory than the previous installation.
- The Welcome to DB Change Manager dialog opens with the Setup and Import data sources, jobs, and settings from a previous version import options selected.
- Click Get Started to launch the Import Wizard. Alternatively, you can launch the Import Wizard from the main menu using the following steps:
- Select File > Import.
- Select Change Manager Workspace from the IDERA group, and then click Next.
- Select the version of DB Change Manager from which to import.
- Select the location of your DB Change Manager workspace. The default value is the default workspace, so you need to change this value only if you configured DB Change Manager to store the workspace in a custom location. The wizard imports the items from the previous DB Change Manager version.
- Click Next to continue through each step of the wizard.
- Click Finish. The jobs are imported to DB Change Manager 17.1.
Upgrading from Version CMSchema 4.0 or CMData/Config 4.0 to DB Change Manager 17.1
The following objects can be imported from version 4.0:
- data sources
- all comparison jobs (data, configuration, and schema)
- configuration archives
- configuration standards
The following objects cannot be imported from version 4.0:
- schema archive versions
- synchronization scripts
- command line automation (scheduled jobs, batch files, etc.)
4.0 should remain installed to access any archives and reports.
To upgrade from CM Schema 4.0:
- To import schema comparison jobs from 4.0, obtain and install cmschema_40_932_upgrade.exe from your IDERA Technical Support representative.
- Run cmschema_40_932_upgrade.exe to convert the schema component jobs from version 4.0 to 5.0, which uses an XML-based format.
- Follow the steps as described in the previous section, Upgrading from Version 5.0, 5.1.x, 5.5.x or 5.6 to DB Change Manager 2016 (6.3.3), 2016+ (16.5), 16.6, 17.0, or 17.1.