This section includes the following topics:
Providing a solution that enables you to see end-to-end information involving Web, multiple J2EEs, Tuxedo, and Oracle.
SmartLink correlates end-to-end activities and provides information on your environment's performance. This information includes total response time broken down into AppTiers, and a complete cross-AppTier invocation tree for each transaction. This enables pinpointing the problematic activity in a specific AppTier that is causing poor performance in the transaction, and drilling down in context of that activity to the relevant Precise product, for further analysis and resolution.
The solution has been specifically designed to:
- Provide end-to-end correlation visibility for transactions whose flow includes Web, J2EE, Tuxedo, and Oracle.
- Recognize Tuxedo calls from J2EE in two protocols (WTC-CORBA and WTC-JATMI).
- Support both cross-JVM correlations and the J2EE>Tuxedo>Oracle correlation. The supported AppTiers for the solution are: Web, J2EE, Tuxedo, and Oracle.
The SmartLink user interface has two tabs: Activity and Flow. The Activity tab is the default tab that displays the response time breakdown of transactions in an application. The Flow tab displays the complete invocation tree of a specific transaction. Additionally, SmartLink data is available in the Insight user interface when switching to SmartLink is On mode.
For additional information on SmartLink, its Flow and Activity tabs, and Insight with SmartLink ON, refer to the Precise Insight User’s Guide, Chapter 7 – Running SmartLink for PeopleSoft environments.
Working with Precise for Tuxedo
This section includes the following topics:
- Usage scenario
- About the SmartLink user interface within Insight
- Drilling down to other Precise products from the SmartLink Flow tab
To work with Precise for Tuxedo, perform the following steps:
- On the SmartLink user interface: Analyze transaction breakdown across Web > J2EE1 > J2EE2 >…> J2EEn > Tuxedo.
- On the Insight user interface with "SmartLink On": Analyze transaction breakdown across J2EEn > Tuxedo > Oracle (J2EEn = last J2EE in the call chain which invokes Tuxedo).
- From the StartPoint screen, select Environment 1 (Web and J2EE).
- On the upper right-hand side of the screen, select SmartLink. This will open SmartLink in the Activity tab.
- Click the Flow tab.
- The table on the left side of the screen displays your transactions and the Tree view on the right side of the screen displays the breakdown of the transaction selected on the table.
- On the Tree view, select the service you want to investigate.
A fish eye view of the service is displayed providing you with additional information on the service.
To further analyze the service, click the Analyze link.
If you select a Tuxedo service and click Analyze, the Insight screen is displayed with the Tuxedo tab selected and the SmartLink is On mode enabled.
About the SmartLink user interface within Insight
When SmartLink is activated with "SmartLink is On," a chart showing how the time of each AppTier relates to the total time, is displayed.
The Main area displays a table showing the performance data divided by entities.
This Insight screen is suitable for investigating the transaction from the last J2EE tier, through the Tuxedo, to the database tier. The Cross-AppTiers and Web tabs are not relevant for this solution.
About the left pane
The left pane displays an Overview pie graph and an Over Time bar graph below it.
The Overview graph displays the response time breakdown to AppTiers net times for the transactions displayed in the table on the right pane.
The Over Time graph displays the response time summed over time (shown as a separate graph for each AppTier).
About the right pane
In the Insight user interface, the default view for each AppTier (tab) is the graphs view. If you select a specific entity in the Display drop down menu, then the entity data is displayed in a table view. The table view details information regarding the transactions associated with the Overview graph, displayed on the left pane.
If you perform a drill down operation on the right pane, all AppTiers in Insight are affected. For example, if you perform a drill down (in Insight) on a Tuxedo service in the Tuxedo tab, and then switch to the Oracle tab, Insight will display a subset of the information (resulting from the drill-down operation).
The drill down operation also affects the graphs on the left pane. For example, if you drill down a Tuxedo service on the right pane, the graphs on the left pane will display a subset of the information (resulting from the drill-down operation).
Drilling down to other Precise products from the SmartLink Flow tab
From the SmartLink Flow tab you can drill down directly to Precise for Web, Precise for J2EE, Precise for Oracle, and Insight (for Tuxedo nodes) in context of a specific element.
The context is set according to the selected tree node and selected row in the Instances table.
Precise for Oracle data is available if activated from the J2EE tier, not the Tuxedo tier.