After completing the preparation phase of the comparison you are ready to compare the data in all those mapped objects (tables and views). To start the comparison either click on the Compare Data button on the ribbon (under the Review Comparison tab) or click on the Compare Data on the right panel of the Mapped Objects window. A progress window displays the start time, elapsed time and the names of the objects being compared. If you cancel the comparison operation IDERA SQL Data Compare will display partial comparison results.
On completion of the data compare operation the results are displayed on a new window called Comparison Result within that comparison session's tab. The Comparison Result window is divided into multiple sections:
Object grid. Displays the tables that were compared, indicating the total number of rows, the number of rows that were equal, number of rows that were found only on either the source or the target table and number of rows that are different. Tables that have data differences are displayed in bold.
If the comparison is interrupted, data compare displays the comparison result up to the point of cancellation and marks the objects that were not compared with a question mark. If an object is marked as "Invalid" in the comparison grid, it either didn't have a data key or the keys were invalid.
Data grid. When you click on a pair of tables that are different, depending on the data differences, up to three tabs will appear on the bottom section of the Comparison Results window: "Left Rows"; "Right Rows"; and "Different Rows". For the different rows the paired columns from both tables are shown next two each other so that you can easily see the differences. You can "zoom in" on a particular row to take a closer look - right click on the row you wish to inspect and click on "View Row Details".
Notes on details grid:
- Columns in the light-blue color represent data key columns. The “key” label appears in the column header as well.
- Grid cells in orange color indicate data differences.
- By default, equal rows are not displayed in the data grid unless the comparison option Report rows that are equal is checked.
- Synchronization script links. These links generate the synchronization script for either database.
- Action links. Performs various data operation.
- Legend. Provides a list of symbols used in the object grid.