After you define triggers for your task, you can define actions to be performed when the task runs.
To add an action, in the Actions section of the Add Task wizard, click Add. SQL Enterprise Job Manager opens the Add Action dialog window.
What type of actions can you set for your task?
There are three types of actions you can set for your task: Start a program, Send an e-mail, and Display a message. These options are available in the Begin the task drop-down list.
Each type of action contains specific settings. The next sections explain in detail the settings for these actions.
Start a program
When you select to start a program as the action for your task, you have to specify a program or script to execute.
In the Program/script field, type the name of the program or script to execute.
Additionally, you can define the following optional parameters:
- Add arguments - If your program or script takes command-line arguments, you can type them in this field.
- Start in - You can specify the working directory for the command line that executes the program or script. Type the path to the program or script file.
Send an e-mail
You can select to send an e-mail when the task runs. If you select this action, specify the following settings:
- From - Type the e-mail address from where the e-mail will be sent.
- To - Type the email address to where the e-mail will be sent.
- Subjects - Type the subject of your e-mail.
- Text - Type the body of your message.
- Attachment - Type files paths to be attached in your email.
- SMTP server - Specify the SMTP server to use to send the e-mail.
Display a message
Use this option to show a message on the desktop when the task runs. You can specify the following settings:
- Title - Type the title for the message box.
- Message - Type the content body of your message.
What other options are available in the Actions section?
After you create your actions, you can also use any of the following options:
- Edit - Select one of the created actions to edit/change its settings.
- Delete - Use this option to remove actions.