Use the following instructions to deploy the IDERA Newsfeed Platform in a Windows Server 2012 clustered environment.
Things to consider before you install the IDERA Newsfeed Platform in a clustered environment
- Assign the IDERA Newsfeed Platform to a new or existing clustered service. You may want to create a separate clustered service to host the SQLDM Mobile & Newsfeed Service.
- Creating a new clustered service for this deployment allows the service to fail without causing other resources in the cluster to failover. However, this configuration also requires a new dedicated IP, a new NetBIOS name, and a new dedicated drive.
- Adding the SQLDM Mobile & Newsfeed Service to your existing SQLDM Services clustered service makes sure that all four services failover together, and does not require additional resources.
- The SQLDM Mobile & Newsfeed Service runs as a generic service on the assigned clustered service.
- You may need to provide a Network Name and Network IP during the cluster configuration.
- When you install the IDERA News Platform, you need to provide credentials for the service account and the name of a SQL Server instance that can host the SQLDM Mobile Repository database. Make sure these components meet the requirements.
- Install or upgrade your clustered SQLDM Services to the latest version of SQL Diagnostic Manager.
Install the IDERA Newsfeed Platform on each cluster node
To set up IDERA Newsfeed Platform to work correctly when the primary cluster node fails, you need to install the platform on each cluster node.
To install IDERA Newsfeed Platform:
- Log on using an administrator account.
Setup.exein the root of the SQLDM installation kit.
- Click SQLDM Mobile and Newsfeed on the Quick Start window.
- On the Welcome window of the setup program, click Next.
- Review and accept the license agreement by clicking I accept the terms in the license agreement, and then click Next.
- Select the Mobile & Newsfeed components, and then click Next.
- Specify the appropriate credentials for the service account, and then click Next.
- Select which SQL Server instance should host the Repository database, and then click Next.
- Specify the account that the setup program should use to create the Repository database, test the connection, and then click Next.
- Indicate which credentials the SQLDM Mobile & Newsfeed Service account should use to connect to the Repository database, and then click Next.
- Specify which computer hosts your SQLDM Services, and then click Next.
- Click Install.
- In Windows Services, stop the following services, and set their Startup type to
- SQLDM Mobile & Newsfeed Service
Create the clustered service (optional)
For more granular failover control, you can create a dedicated clustered service for the IDERA Newsfeed Platform.
To configure the clustered service:
- Start the Registry Editor and navigate to the
...\IDERA\SQLdm Mobile & Newsfeed\ key. For this key, add a String Value named
DataPathand set it to directory path for the new folder.
- In the Failover Cluster Management tool, right-click Roles, and then click Configure Role.
- Provide a name for the new clustered service.
- Select Generic Service.
- Select the SQLDM Mobile & Newsfeed Service.
- Enter the network name and IP address for the services.
- Select the clustered storage that you want to host the data folder path.
- Skip the Registry Replication.
- Verify your selections, and then click Next to complete the wizard.
- Under Other Resources in the Services and Applications view, right-click on your new clustered service, and then take the SQLdm Mobile & Newsfeed Service offline.
- To configure the Registry Replication entry, open PowerShell with administrator rights and execute the following command:
Add-ClusterCheckpoint -ResourceName "(Newsfeed Role Name)" -RegistryCheckpoint "SOFTWARE\IDERA\SQLdm Mobile and Newsfeed\Default\DataPath"
Add the SQLDM Mobile & Newsfeed Service to the appropriate clustered service
On each cluster node, modify the clustered service settings to allow the IDERA Newsfeed Platform to recognize the cluster nodes.
- Select a disk that is configured for the target clustered service, and create a folder on that disk to store data for the SQLDM Mobile & Newsfeed Service. You can choose your new clustered service or the existing clustered service already used for the SQLDM Services.
- Expand Services and Applications, right-click the newly created service, and then click SQLDM Mobile & Newsfeed Service > Properties.
- On the General tab, select Use Network Name for the computer name.
- On the Dependencies tab, specify the Disk and Name used by the service.
- On the Registry Replication tab, add
HKLM\SOFTWARE\IDERA\IDERA Newsfeed & Mobile\DataPath.
- Right-click the new clustered service node, then select Add a Resource > Generic Service.
- Select the SQLDM Mobile & Newsfeed Service from the list of services.
- Click Next to finish the wizard.
- In Windows Services, bring the following services online:
- SQLDM Mobile & Newsfeed Service
- SQLDM Management Service
- SQLDM Collection Service
- SQLDM Predictive Analytics
Test your cluster configuration using the SQLDM Console
Make sure the SQLDM services can communicate with each other and the Repository databases.
- On the active node of the cluster, use the Management Service Configuration wizard to re-register the services and test your configuration. You can start this tool from the Programs menu.
- Verify that you are able to create a Newsfeed account and monitor your virtual SQL Server instances using the News Feed interface in the SQLDM Console.